Saturday, March 26, 2011

Becky's Big Ideas! The Chore Jar

My friend has been asking me to post some of my ideas that I use on my kids for chores and other things, so, I am doing just that.  I am not saying that my children are perfect, far from it.  I have just found certain things that work easier for them with a lot less fighting on both ends.

THE CHORE JAR!!!

This is the one I am going to use right now.  I have found a chore jar to be the best way to get my kids to do chores.  I used to do "The Chore Hour", where, on Saturdays, the kids did chores for one hour and then they got a dollar at the end of the hour if they were doing chores the whole time, but then they would fight over what chores to do.  So, now I do "The Chore Jar". 

  • I went and got a jar and some craft sticks at the dollar store. 
  • On each craft stick I wrote a chore.  Examples:  Garbages, Clean inside of car, Bathroom sink and mirror, toy room, bedroom, bookcases, kitchen floor, dishes, vacuum (divided into upstairs and downstairs), dusting(divided into upstairs and downstairs), wash dog, febreeze, lightswitches, doorknobs, fish tank, laundry, lysol spray, weeding, kitty litterbox, and dog poop.
  • Each child reaches into the jar with their eyes closed and needs to pick one chore.  They have to do that chore no matter what.
  • If they want to earn money, they can pick more chores and they would get fifty cents for each extra chore.
  • Sometimes they would need to earn something back that they got grounded from, (usually patrick), then I would have them reach into the jar to pick out a chore they need to do to earn that something back.
  • I also have a jar that I keep change in specifically for the chores. 
To me, this is a great way for the kids to get some chores done, earn money if they want to, and then they each get to learn new chores all the time. 

I hope this satisfies the specific someone I was talking abot until I can put a new post up!  Love ya!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're awesome! Thanks! They're great ideas! Can't wait for the next. :)

    ReplyDelete